Sunday, December 9, 2012

Cinnamon Sweet Potato Chips

Cinnamon and sweet potatoes.

A match made in heaven, no?


Though I love sweet potatoes, I've never been a fan of the classic brown sugar, marshmallow, and butter combinations.  Honestly, the thought of marshmallows and sweet potatoes just makes me want to puke.

But cinnamon, oh cinnamon, well that's a different story.  I absolutely adore cinnamon and sweet potatoes together.  Whether it's sweet, savory, or something in the middle, it disappears into my belly right away.


Last weekend I had some free time and a bunch of sweet potatoes.  Insert sweet potato chips.

I didn't want plain old sweet potato chips, though.  Nope, I wanted something special.  So I added cinnamon.


And can I just say: YUM.

This cinnamon added just the right of sweetness to the already sweet sweet potato, and the sprinkle of salt I also added balanced out everything with just a touch of savoury.

Perfection in a chip.


Cinnamon Sweet Potato Chips
  • 2 sweet potatoes, washed and dried
  • 1-2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/4 tsp salt per baking sheet
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon per baking sheet
Preheat oven to 300 F.  Slice potatoes thinly with a mandolin slicer or a knife.  I used a mandolin slicer.  Grease 2-3 baking sheets.  Lay potato slices in a single layer on baking sheets.  Drizzle with just a bit of oilve oil.  Flip over slices so that both sides are thinly coated in oil.  Sprinkle with cinnamon and salt (1/4 tsp of each for every baking sheet).  Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour, flipping chips over every 20 minutes or so.  Take chips out while they're still a bit chewy, they will harden up with time.  Store in an airtight container.


Oh, and one more thing.  These chips are baked not fried, which means they're not nearly as bad for you as most chips.  Which means you can eat more.  Which means you'll probably want to double the recipe.  Just saying.

Enjoy!


Revisited Recipe of the Day:

Cinnamon Sugar Muffins




Pin It!

7 comments:

  1. I love sweet potatoes! that's one of my favorite. Nice combo dear! looks YUM :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think i can mix these with my late night show marathon. LOL!♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love making sweet potato chips, try adding paprika and chili powder as well as the cinnamon - they all go so well together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, yum! I love the sweet + spicy combo.

      Delete