Saturday, February 23, 2013

Mousse Frosted Chocolate Chip Cake

I never really mentioned it, but my birthday has officially come and gone.  I am now one year older!


This year I decided to make my own cake to celebrate the special day, and I am so happy I did.

It sounds a bit weird, but creating birthday cakes really stretches my creativity to the max.  Birthdays only come once a year, after all, so whatever cake I make has to be simply spectacular.  This cake totally delivered.


On my birthday when I first dug into the cake, I swear I almost sighed, it was so delicious.  And I wasn't the only one.  My whole family loved the cake, digging into their second piece without hesitation.  My dad even said it could have been served in a restaurant.  Now that's a big compliment!


Little did my fellow family members know, this cake is also super good for you!  

The base is a fat free chocolate chip cake recipe and the decadent frosting on top is, my personal favorite, a tofu chocolate mousse.  Combind they create a one of a kind cake that will blow whoever eats it away, whether they know it's healthy or not.

I don't care if it's your birthday or just a monday night.  You need to make this cake, and soon.


Mousse Frosted Chocolate Chip Cake
Cake:

  • 1 1/2 tbsp ground flax
  • 4 1/2 tbsp water
  • 1 1/2 cups spelt flour
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 3/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tbsp vanilla extract
  • 220 g mori-nu silken firm tofu
  • 1/2 cup applesauce
  • 1 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips
Frosting:
  • 200 g mori-nu silken firm tofu
  • 3 tbsp special dark cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
  • 2 tbsp chocolate chips, melted.
  1. Preheat oven to 350F.  Line an 8x8 square pan with parchment paper (enough to cover sides of pan).
  2. In a small bowl, mix together flax and water.  Set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, mix together all remaining dry ingredients for cake.
  4. Combine flax mixture, vanilla, tofu (amount for cake only), applesauce, and maple syrup (amount for cake only) in a blender.  Blend until completely smooth.
  5. Pour wet ingredients into flour mixture and mix well until a smooth batter forms.  Fold in chocolate chips.
  6. Scoop batter into prepared pan.  Smooth on top.  Bake in preheated oven for 17 minutes.
  7. Meanwhile, make frosting.  Combine all ingredients listed under frosting in blender (it can be the same one as before) or food processor.  Blend until smooth and creamy.
  8. When cake is done, pour frosting/mousse over the top.  Smooth into an even layer.
  9. Chill cake for at least 6 hours, or overnight, until mousse on top is firm.
  10. Cut into 16 squares and serve.  Store any leftovers in the fridge.



Enjoy, everyone!

Revisited Recipe of the Day:
Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I'm glad you think so, Carrie. It tastes EVEN BETTER than it looks :)

      Delete
  2. What an awesome birthday cake! Happy Birthday! Isn't it amazing when something tastes so good, yet it's actually good for you, too! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! And yes, it is the best when healthy tastes good. My favorite thing ever.

      By the way, I just checked out your blog... I could really use one of the vegetarian/vegan pizzas right now. They look so good!

      Delete
  3. Your pictures are incredible! Makes me want to eat it so badly! Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very happy to hear that, Mary. Thanks so much!

      Delete