Friday, December 6, 2013

Blueberry Muffins with a Hint of Ginger and Lemon {Monk Fruit in the Raw}

{I received free samples from Cumberland Packing Corp., maker of Monk Fruit In The Raw. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Cumberland Packing Corp. and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.}

Stories from blueberry muffin baking:


1. Lemons have decided to hate me.  I don't really understand, honestly, we've always had such a great relationship, but the day of these muffins?  Yeah, not so much.  I got squirted in the eye with juice at least 4 times while I was zesting them.  Like, there wasn't even any juice exposed and it still managed to somehow hit me in the eye.  I repeat, they hate me.

2. For some reason, the folks down at Trader Joe's thought it would be a good idea to make curry powder and cinnamon look really similar, so much that I almost put freaking curry powder in these muffins!  The spices in our house are pretty jumbled up and so as I dug through the chaotic plastic bin that is our spice rack I spotted something that looked like cinnamon and grabbed it.  Upon (somewhat) closer inspection I saw that the label had some word that started with a 'C' on it, further confirming that this bottle held cinnamon.  Thank god I caught a whiff of it's very not cinnamon-y smell or these muffins would have been a lot worse and also quite spicy.


3. I hereby proclaim myself a blueberry fanatic.  That's right, it's official now.  After adding 1 1/3 cups of blueberries to this batter (which, admittedly, was probably too much), I came to the realization that I put more blueberries on my oatmeal in the mornings.  Yes, more.  No wonder my family goes through frozen fruit so fast.  I eat almost 2 cups per meal.

4. MONK FRUIT IN THE RAW.  I like this stuff, I really do.  It gives me pleasure to use only a couple tablespoons of "real" sugar per recipe and than still have the result taste perfectly sweet.  I don't know if you realize this, but that's really cool.  Low calorie is cool too because it means I can eat more (!!). Also, when you pour the Mink Fruit in the Raw it looks like little tiny snowflakes (actually, more like fake snow, but whatever) and that makes me happy.


5. Blueberry muffins are good, but blueberry muffins with a hint of lemon and ginger are really really really good.  Really.  (P.S. they smell perfect while they cook.  Don't blame me if you decide to camp out in front of your oven while they're baking)

Blueberry Muffins with a Hint of Lemon and Ginger
  • 2 cups spelt flour
  • 1/3 cup Monk Fruit in the Raw
  • 3 tbsp turbinado sugar
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp powedered ginger
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 cup milk
  • 3 tbsp vegetable or coconut oil
  • 3 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 tbsp vinegar
  • 1 tbsp lemon zest
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 - 11/3 cup frozen blueberries (I used 1 1/3 and it was probably too much, but I love blueberries so I didn't mind.  Use whatever you see fit)
Preheat oven to 350F.  Grease a muffin pan.  In a large bowl, mixtogether all dry ingredients until completely incorporated.  In another bowl, whisk together milk, oil, lemon juice, vinegar, lemon zest and vanilla.  Let sit a couple minutes to let the vinegar mix into the milk.  After a couple minutes, add wet ingredient to dry and mix just until incorporated. Don't overmix.  Gently add in blueberries.  Scoop about 1/4 cup batter into each muffin hole.  Bake in preheated oven for 16-18 minutes, until firm.  Let cool before remiving from pan and storing in an airtight container.  Makes 12 large muffins.










Pin It!

7 comments:

  1. OK - you've convinced me that I need to add lemon and ginger to any type of blueberry baked good moving forward (but not curry, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, DEFINITELY not curry. But ginger and lemon is amazing ;)

      Delete
  2. Mmm, blueberry muffins are a favorite of mine! I bet the ginger flavor is great.

    Sarah Grace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got that right, Sarah Grace. I love blueberry muffins, too.

      Delete
  3. These look fabulous ! I have always LOVED blueberry muffins and adore the fresh taste lemon adds to baked goods. This is a great recipe and one I'll have to try. This contest was so much fun, wasn't it?: ) Looking forward to your December Monthly Redux Recipe as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im glad you like the recipe, Heather. I totally agree, this was one of my favorite contests. I'm still using my Monk Fruit in the Raw bag now! I'll have to check out your entry for some inspiration :)

      Delete
  4. 3 Researches PROVE How Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you actually kill fat by eating coconut fat (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from major medical magazines are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete