Monday, December 2, 2013

Monk Fruit in the Raw: Frosted Chocolate Brownies

{I received free samples from Cumberland Packing Corp., maker of Monk Fruit In The Raw. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Cumberland Packing Corp. and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.}

So Thanksgiving is over, and the holiday season has officially begun.


And, other than the holidays of course, one of the best things about holiday season is the food.  Specifically, the desserts.

However, with that said, it's also important to stay healthy.  Believe me when I say I want to gorge myself on cookies just as much as the next person, but I don't because a) If I do i'll feel like crap later and b) there are healthier desserts that taste just as good.

Todays recipe is an excellent example of one of those desserts.  I give you: Frosted Chocolate Brownies which are delicious and gluten free + sweetened with only fruit.


What's the catch?

Get this... there isn't one!

When you've got the right ingredients it's east to put together a dessert that's healthy as well as decadent.  I mean, look at those brownies!  Who would have guessed they're made without butter, oil, or granulated sugar?

One of the secrets in these guys is the use of Monk Fruit in the Raw.  It's a zero calories sweetener made from monk fruit (and other natural ingredients).  Now, I'm not usually a fan of artificial or calorie-less sweeteners, but I've made an exception for this brand because it's 100% natural.  The real problem I have with products like Splenda or Equal is that they're loaded with chemicals I don't want entering my body, but with Monk Fruit In the Raw, I don't have to worry about that.  It's an easy way to keep foods low calorie and all natural.  (Just remember that it's only recommended to sub out half the sugar in a recipe for Monk Fruit in the Raw in order to avoid any problems like rising, texture, etc.  In this recipe I used dates as the other sweetener.)


I'm happy to report that my first experiment with Monk Fruit in the Raw worked out perfectly.  You will not believe that these rich and fudgy brownies are actually on the healthier side of desserts.  By all means, feel free to help yourself to seconds.


Frosted Chocolate Brownies
Brownies:

  • 1/2 cup yogurt
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 cup dates (5 large)
  • 1/4 cup Monk Fruit in the Raw
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 1/4 cup Special Dark cocoa powder
Frosting:
  • 1 ripe avocado
  • 1/2 cup yogurt
  • 1/4 cup chocolate chips, melted
  • 1/4 special dark cocoa powder
  • 1/4 cup Monk Fruit in the Raw
  • 2 dates
  • 1 tsp vanilla
Preheat oven to 350F.  Grease an 8x8 pan (or a smaller pan, if you want thicker brownies).  In the bowl of a food processor, combine all ingredients for brownies. Blend until completely incorporated with no oat or date chunks.  Pour into prepared pan and spread into an even layer.  Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes (baking time may change if you use a different pan), until a toothpick comes out clean.  Once brownies are done, remove from oven and let cool.
Quickly rinse out your food processor and dry (it's not necessary to completely clean it).  Then, to make frosting, combine all ingredients in the bowl of food processor.  Blend until smooth and thick, with all ingredients compeltely mixed.  You should be able to take a spoonful of the frosting and tip it upside down without ot falling off.  Spread frosting on top of baked brownies and chill for at least one hour.  Then, slice into 9-16 squares and serve.






Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. Avocado, dates and monkfruit in a fudgey, rich looking brownie - sign me up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow the photos make these look so dark chocolaty and fudgy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a luscious looking recipe. I just used avocado and dates in a chocolate pudding. Great combo … and awesome brownies :)

    ReplyDelete