Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Chocolate Frosted Sweet Potato Beet Cake

I feel like 2012 lasted 4 months at most.

It seemed to just fly by, but now it's January 1, 2013 and I can barely believe it.  Crazy, right?


I think so, but it's also something to celebrate.

Today I'm celebrating, with something crazy of my own...

A Sweet Potato Beet Cake!


I know it sounds weird, strange, and possibly incredibly disgusting, but, I promise you, the result is not.

Ok fine.  Maybe it is weird and strange, but it is not disgusting. 


In fact, it's quite the opposite.

Rich, fudgy, and full of chocolaty flavor.  Those funky ingredients... well you can't taste them one bit!

If you're looking for a recipe to share with a not-so-healthy crowd, I definitely say you should give this one a try.  Just don't tell anyone what's in it beforehand!


Chocolate Frosted Sweet Potato Beet Cake

Cake:

  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1 cup sweet potato puree
  • 100 grams canned beets
  • 1/3 cup egg whites (2 egg whites)
  • 1/3 cup applesauce
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup spelt flour
  • pinch salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
Frosting:
  • 1/4 cup plain yogurt
  • 2 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 2 tbsp milk
  • 3/4 tsp vanilla
  • 3 prunes
  • 1 tbsp peanut butter (or another nut butter of choice)
  • 1/4 cup chocolate chips, melted
Preheat oven to 375F.  Combine first 6 ingredients listed in food processor, and process until smooth.  You don't want and clumps remaining.  In a large bowl, mix together cocoa powder, flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon.  Pour wet ingredients from food processor into dry ingredients and mix well to  combine.  Stir in maple syrup.  Pour batter into a 10 in round pan and bake for 17 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Meanwhile, combine all ingredients for frosting in food processor (you don't have to wash processor well between uses, just rinse off the bowl + lid).  Process mixture until completely smooth and creamy.  When cake is done, spread the entire batch of frosting evenly over the top, and refridgerate until serving time.


I hope everyone is having a fantastic New Years Day!

Let's all try to make 2013 a happy, healthy, and delicious year.  And don't forget to indulge in dessert every once in a while... it's good for you :)


Revisited Recipe of the Day:

Pumpkin Chocolate Mousse Pie




Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. Howdy! Would you mind if I share your blog with my zynga group?

    There's a lot of people that I think would really enjoy your
    content. Please let me know. Many thanks

    my website: Mountain View dance classes

    ReplyDelete