Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Recipe ReDux - Blueberry Yogurt Breakfast (or Brunch) Cake

Who likes greek yogurt?

I like greek yogurt.  In fact, I would even go as far as saying that I love greek yogurt.  So, with that information in mind, can you imagine how excited I was when Chobani offered to send me some yogurt to bake with?

Very, very excited.


Little did I know, the nice people at Chobani weren't just planning to send me some yogurt, they sent me six whole tubs!

I was swimming in yogurt (and partly still am).  I decided I needed to get baking, and soon.  And what better way to make a dent in my yogurt supply than using it to make this months Recipe Redux recipe?


The theme this month was healthier brunch dishes, and I'll be honest and say I know practically nothing about brunch.  It's not really something we take part in often at my house, so I was pretty clueless about what exactly to make.  The yogurt spurred my creativity though, and soon I knew I wanted to make a light cake.


The result was a delicious Blueberry Yogurt Cake that's healthy enough for breakfast or brunch, but tasty enough for dessert too.  It uses only oat flour as well, so providing you use gluten free oats, the cake is also gluten free!

Now, to figure out how to use all the rest of my yogurt!


Blueberry Yogurt Breakfast Cake

  • 1 cup oat flour (you can make your own by grinding rolled oats to a fine flour in a coffee grinder or blender)
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
  • 1 tbsp cornstarch
  • 1/3 cup date paste (there's a good tutorial on how to make it here)
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 3/4 cup vanilla greek yogurt (I used Chobani)
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk
  • 1 tbsp melted coconut oil
  • 1 cup frozen blueberries
Frosting:
  • 1/4 cup frozen blueberries, thawed
  • 1/4 vanilla greek yogurt (again I used Chobani)
Preheat oven to 350F.  Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl.  Mix together.  In another bowl, mix together date paste, vanilla, yogurt, buttermilk, and oil.  Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until a smooth batter forms.  Gently fold in 1 cup frozen blueberries.  Line an 8in square pan with parchment paper, and pour batter in.  Bake for 30-35 minutes, until a tootpick inserted comes out clean.  

To make frosting, thaw 1/4 cup blueberries in a small bowl.  Add yogurt and mix until incorporated.  Spread or drizzle frosting on top of baked cake.  Cut into 16 slices and serve.  Store any leftovers in fridge.







Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. Looks yummy - my daughter would like making and eating this one, I bet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so pretty and look really delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Appreciate this post. Will try it out.

    My homepage ... Oakley Sunglasses

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy! Can't wait to try out how the oat flour will taste. Love the look of the purple "frosting"! (: -Serena

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome, now just to get the energy up to make that date paste!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 3 Studies PROVE How Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    This means that you literally burn fat by consuming Coconut Fat (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from large medicinal magazines are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete