Friday, October 5, 2012

Greek Yogurt Fruit Dip

Greek yogurt has a special place in my heart.


I used to not like yogurt at all.  In fact, when I was a kid, just the smell of it made me gag.

So, even when Greek yogurt started to pop up everywhere, it wasn't something I necessarily wanted to try.  That is, until I started to hear about all it's amazing nutritional benefits.  Especially the protein.

Protein is always something I've struggled to get into my diet.  I eat a mostly vegetarian diet, and eggs and nuts have never really been my favorites, so sometimes it's hard to be sure I'm getting enough of that essential nutrient.  Greek yogurt helped me fix that problem.


At first I didn't like it.  It was too tangy for me, and the only way I could even slightly enjoy it was with lots of honey and fruit.  I kept trying it different ways though.  You see, I wanted to like Greek yogurt really really bad.  And eventually that happened.

One day, something just clicked.  I'm honestly not really sure what happened, but I had a bowl of plain Greek yogurt with nothing on it at all, and then, I wanted more.  And more and more and more.

Greek yogurt went from being something I extremely disliked, to something I eat almost every day in just a matter of months.


Now, I use Greek yogurt in almost everything.  Sure, not everything works out, but the things that do are absolutely delicious.  Like this fruit dip, for instance.

It's creamy and tart with just a hint of chocolaty-goodness.  Dip in strawberries, bananas, or maybe even spread some on your morning toast!


Greek Yogurt Fruit Dip
(makes about 1 cup)

  • 1 cup plain Greek yogurt (vanilla would probably work too)
  • 2 tsp cocoa powder
  • 1 tbsp melted chocolate chips
  • 1 tbsp chocolate sauce (homemade if you like)
  • sweetener of choice, to taste (I used just a bit of date paste, because I wanted by dip to be pretty tart)
Mix all ingredients together in a cereal bowl until little to no clumps remain.  Alternately, if you want a very smooth dip, you can blend everything together in a blender.  Serve dip chilled with fruit or cookie/crackers (spoons work too :)).  Store any leftovers in the fridge.



If your a Greek yogurt newbie, I suggest this dip.  It's a good introduction to everything Greek yogurt has to offer, and on top of it all, it's really tasty.  I bet if someone had given this to me while I was in the "trying to like yogurt" stage, my love would have blossomed right then and there.

And, If you have leftovers, you can't go wrong with chocolate Greek yogurt dipped strawberries!  Just coat strawberries in already made dip and freeze.


Enjoy!

Revisited Recipe of the Day:

Peach Blueberry Breakfast Crumble



Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment