Friday, January 3, 2014

Craft Time - Vegetable Art

How about something a little different today?  I don't know about you, but where I live the snows coming down hard and school is closed for the day.

Pefect craft weather!


Lately I've been getting more into DIY projects.  I think they're really fun for the winter and I've been pinning craft projects like crazy over on Pinterest.

I finally decided to actually try something out (yes, I have the dreaded pin and then never try syndrome), and it came out pretty well if I do say so myself.


I call this Vegetable Art.  And yes, vegetables are necessary in the creation of the piece.  I don't call myself a food blogger for nothing ;)

Basically, it's a super fun and easy way to create unique and fun wall art.  I made mine for my room, so it's fit for a teenage girl, but you could easily change the feel of the painting based on colors and how you decide to polka-dot your canvas.

Inspiration for the project came from from this pin.


What Do You Need?
  • 1 blank canvas of any size
  • 4 paint colors of your choice (I went to a pain store, picked out a color swatch that I liked, and asked for a sample in each other.  It's cheap and gives you a lot of paint; enough for many more projects than this)
  • Potatoes, carrots, and any other root vegetable of your choice
How Do You Make It?
  1. Prepare a clean work place.  Set down your canvas and prepare your paints by pouring each one into a shallow container with a large surface area.  I used the lid of the paint containers  (see first picture)
  2. Slice your vegetables into round disks.  Try to be mindful of how the shape will come out after you cut it.  Your painting will come out best if there are multiple sizes and shapes of your circles.
  3. Start painting!  It's your choice as to whether you want to paint with any design in mind or just go crazy.  At first I tried to do big circles to small, but then I gave up and polka-dotted in random places.  I think it'll look pretty good no matter what you do.  The important thing to remember is not to use too much paint.  You want each stamp not to be solid, because that what makes it so cool to look at.
  4. Let it dry and hang it up.  Currently, mine is sitting on my dresser, but I hope to have it up on the wall soon.  Maybe I'll post a picture once it's up.

I'll be back with the usual recipe post in a couple days.  Happy new year everyone, and here's to an awesome 2014!

Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. Love, love, love it! Used to do it in primary school :D Looks good :D x

    ReplyDelete