Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Tomato Caramelized Onion and Spinach Pizza (Recipe ReDux)

There are two types of pizza: adult pizza and kid pizza.  I'm guessing you know which one is which.


While kid pizza is not limited to only children, it is the kind most eight year-old's will reach for.  Thick, fluffy crust, tomato sauce, and melty cheese to top it all off.  Maybe some sort of meat on top.

Then there's adult pizza, the type that I love.  All bets are off when it comes to adult pizza.  One can throw pretty much whatever they want on top and no one will question it.  Lemons, beans, squash; it's all fair game.

The pizza I'm sharing today is a mix of the two primary types of pizza.  It's not super crazy, but it isn't your average cheese pizza either.


You start with some caramelized onions.  OK, a lot of caramelized onions.  Once they're all golden and delicious, stir in some marinara sauce and coat the onions with it.  That's gonna be the first layer of your pizza.

Next comes baby spinach.  Nothing fancy, just lay it down in a thick layer covering the onions.  Don't worry about there being too much because it's gonna shrink down a ton in the oven.

Finally, top your pizza with fresh mozzarella and sun dried tomatoes.  Perfect!  This pizza is simple, but delicious, and you're going to love it!


Tomato Caramelized Onion and Spinach Pizza
  • 1 pizza crust of choice (I used store bought, but you can make your own)
  • 2 onions, chopped
  • marinara sauce of choice (either store bought or homemade is fine)
  • baby spinach
  • fresh mozzarella
  • sun dried tomatoes, packed in oil
Preheat oven to 450F.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  Add some olive oil to a pan and add chopped onions.  Caramelize onions; if you don't know how, check out these directions.  Add marinara sauce and mix to coat onions.  Place pizza crust (pre-baked, if homemade) in prepared pan.  Arrange onions in an even layer on top of crust.  Add a layer of spinach, and top that with a generous amount of fresh mozzarella.  Lastly, evenly distribute sun dried tomatoes on top.  Bake in preheated for 15 minutes, until cheese has melted.  Slice and enjoy!




Pin It!

10 comments:

  1. Yum! The first time I tried spinach properly, about four years ago when I decided not to be picky anymore (funny how it works and your tastebuds mature!) I got a frozen pizza that had spinach on it. When I tried it out I thought - they, this is DELICIOUS! I felt like I had been missing out, and I have since made up for it by eating plenty of lovely, fresh spinach (Saag dishes are lovely!). Mmmm, I wanna make pizza now! Saw another redux post earlier as well, such teasers! Happy Wednesday ^ ^ x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand about the whole missing out thing. I used to be *the* pickiest eater- as in chickens nuggets for lunch every day picky- but now I'm open to pretty much anything. And boy, did I miss out on some good food!

      Delete
  2. I agree that this may be a cross between kid-friendly and adult pizza. It's not too different. Kids might be willing to give it a try. I've been putting fresh spinach on my pizzas for years. Love the flavor and color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the idea! I'm glad to hear you like the recipe :)

      Delete
  3. The more caramelized onions the better! I'm totally with you on this one! I love sun-dried tomatoes on everything, especially pizza - something out their concentrated flavor truly can't be beat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could (and occasionally do) each caramelized onions by themselves. They're like candy! The same goes for sun dried tomatoes. Such awesome flavors!

      Delete
  4. Looks good! I think most kids would eat this, although out of my 4 kids, 3 of them would pick off the sun dried tomatoes. That doesn't matter though. This is a healthy, colorful and easy to make pizza that can be made in a quick time. Love the carmelized onion idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one is a no brainer for me. I would try this combo any time. Yum!

    ReplyDelete