Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Peanut Butter and Jelly Thumbprint Cookies

Growing up, I skipped the peanut butter and jelly faze.  I went through a pasta faze and a chicken nugget faze and I even went through a frozen corn faze, but a PB&J faze?  Not once.

I was never the kid with a smushed sandwich in their lunch everyday, or the kid who survived solely on the jar of peanut butter and grape jelly in the fridge.  In fact, to this day, I've never had a typical Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich.


I can't really say I mind, though.  Sure, I may get some weird looks when I tell people, but it's not like I missed out by not eating that stereotypical sandwich.  White bread, Jiff peanut butter, and grape jelly?  Eh, I think I'll pass.

But take the classic flavors of a PB&J and turn them into a healthy, natural, and delicious cookie and you've got me drooling.


These cookies disappeared in under 24 hours.  I ate three in a row without even stopping for air.  I would make them again in a heartbeat.

Subtly sweet, hearty, and 100% healthy, these cookies are a triple threat.  PB&ampJ lover or not, you will adore them.


Peanut Butter and Jelly Thumbprint Cookies
Cookies:

  • 1 1/2 cups spelt flour
  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup applesauce
  • 1/3 cup maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla
Filling (can also be replaced with your favorite jam or jelly):
  • 1 1/2 cups wild blueberries, frozen (feel free to try another frozen fruit, but I can't guarantee the results)
  • 2 tbsp chia seeds
  • 2 tbsp maple syrup
For Cookies:
  1. Preheat oven to 350F.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat, or grease a baking sheet.
  2. In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, baking soda, and cinnamon.  Mix together.  Add peanut butter, applesauce, maple syrup, milk, and vanilla and mix well until completely incorporated.  Dough will be sticky.
  3. Take about 11/2 tbsp of dough and form into a ball.  Place on baking sheet.  Continue until all dough has been used.  You should have 10-12 large dough balls.  There's no need to place them far apart on the baking sheet because these cookies will not spread in the oven.
  4. Using your thumb or the back of a spoon, press down in the middle of the cookies to create an indent for the jam to go in.
  5. Bake in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes.  Cookies will look under baked at first, but that's OK.  They continue to cook as they cool, so by the time the cookies have cooled down they will be fully baked.
For Filling:
  1. Combine blueberries, chia seeds, and maple syrup in a cereal bowl and give them a quick stir to incorporate.
  2. Microwave the bowl for about two minutes, or until the blueberries have melted and the mixture is juicy.  Microwaving times may vary depending on your microwave. (You can also do this on the stovetop, although cooking times will change)
  3. Remove from microwave and place in fridge to firm up for about 30 minutes.  You will know the filling is ready when it has a jelly-like consistency and is no longer juicy.
  4. Use about 1 tsp of filling to fill each cookie.  Once cookies are done, store in fridge until serving time.  Recipe makes 10-12 large cookies.


Enjoy your Wednesday everyone!
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. These look wonderful and filling too!
    Being from Norway, I never got the whole PB&J combination either, my dad used to have it, and whenever I first tried peanut butter I cringed (This..I can assure you - has changed, can't get enough of the stuff now!). But now, my tastebuds have matured and the crunchier the peanut butter is the better, and instead of jam, I sometimes add chopped strawberries or other fruit, or just serve up a plate with banana and peanut butter, sooo yummy :D
    PS - My school sandwiches were usually smushed *sighs* Tasty though! :P

    ReplyDelete