Thursday, June 28, 2012

Bakeries and Breakfast

I'm officially onto the last leg of my trip.

After a short stop in Sweden and an overnight cruise, I arrived, exhausted, but excited, in Riga, Latvia.

One good nights sleep later, I was off exploring the city with my family, on my way to a bakery where I was planning to pick up breakfast.

Maize (meaning bread in Latvian), was the name.


Entering the store, I was met by the wonderful smell of baking bread and the sight of many delicious pastries.


All of us together bought two small apple pies (they were actually more like apple tarts), one rhubarb crumble bar, a roll, and a couple drinks.

Coffee (the "M" stands for Maize)
All the baked goods from the bakery were delicious. The pie had a flaky crust and a somewhat jelly-like filling with just the right amount of sweetness, the crumble was gooey and bursting with flavor, and the roll, well it was just plain good.

Rhubarb Crumble Bar and part of the Roll
Soon, only crumbs remained on the plates and cups were empty.

Apple Pie/Tart
We then headed off again, to wander the streets and stop at one of the many local markets than can be found in Riga.

Oh, how I love exploring new places.

Blueberry Juice (Don't you love the color?)





Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment