Sunday, March 17, 2013

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies



Is it still acceptable to eat pumpkin?  I mean, I know it's a big thing in fall, but is it still ok to eat it in March, what with the sunny days and daylight until 7pm?  I sure hope so, because these cookies aren't something you want to miss out on!


Alright fine.  So in all honesty they're just oatmeal cookies with pumpkin and chocolate chips.  BUT, they're really good oatmeal cookies with pumpkin and chocolate chips.  And who would I be if I let you miss out on a really good cookie?


Sometimes I try to make crazy desserts with a bajillion mystery ingredients, but other times a simple cookie is really what I'm craving.  Seeing as my super simple recipe for Pumpkin Sqares and my completely crazy Double Decker Chocolate Cake both make the top 5 most popular recipes on this blog, you guys seem to like both sides of my baking.

These cookies fall on the simple side of things.


Made mainly from rolled oats and pumpkin, these cookies are great for the times when you're pantry supply is running a bit low.  The weirdest ingredients you're gonna find in them is raisin puree and even then can be replaced with more maple syrup or honey.

But, and I'm sure all of you can think of something like this, sometimes the simplist things are the best ones.  I spend a lot of my time puree cauliflower and blending tofu.  It's good to take a break and make something good and simple... especially when you end up with really yummy cookies!


Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies

  • 1/2 cup pumpkin
  • 1 flax "egg" or 1 egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tbsp maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup raisin puree
  • 1 1/4 cup rolled oats
  • 3/4 cup oat flour (grind oats in a blender or food processor until they form a fine flour)
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp ginger
  • 1/4 tsp cloves
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350F.  In a small bowl, mix together first 5 ingredients.  In another large bowl, combine remaining ingredients.  Mix wet ingredients into dry until a thick dough forms.  Form dough into cookie shapes on a silpat or parchment paper lined baking sheet.  Bake 10 minutes.  Let cool for 3 minutes on baking sheet before moving to a cooling rack to cool completely.  Recipes yields 16 cookies.



Revisited Recipe of the Day:

Pumpkin Cranberry Bread Pudding


Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. These look delicious! I have used date paste as sweetener, but not raisins. Going to have to try this! I love recipes without added sugar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a fan of the no sugar thing as well. Gotta love when you can make a dessert taste like a dessert simply with fruit! Raisin puree isn't as sweet as date paste, but it can get the job done, especially in desserts that don't need to be *so* sweet.

      Thanks for stopping by, Melissa!

      Delete
  2. These look so delicious. I haven't used a raisin paste, either! The pumpkin addition sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're still up for Pumpkin this early in the year. That's the sign of a real fan, right there! Tell me if you give the cookies are try, Koko.

      Delete
  3. As a raisin hater who read your post on how to make the puree, you said as long as there isn't too much in the recipe it wouldn't taste of raisins...how much is two much? Is the quarter cup going to go unnoticed? Or is there an alternative?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember tasting raisins at all, but I like them so I may not be as sensitive to the taste. If you want to be really careful, you could use a bit of honey or maple syrup instead of the raisin puree

      Delete