Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Chocolate Pumpkin Muffins

I hope you don't mind more muffins.  I certainly don't.  After all, muffins are basically cupcakes you can eat for breakfast.  What's not to love about that?


And these particular muffins are chocolate.  Chocolate!  Are you getting all this?  So far we have a recipe that is essentially a chocolate cupcake that's ok to eat for breakfast.  Now who's complaining about two muffin recipes in a row?

But I'm not done yet.  Oh no, not even close.


As if little guys don't have enough going for them already, I also made them, you guessed it, healthy!

Instead of using all spelt flour, which is what I would normally do, I decided to switch it up with a half whole wheat, half spelt flour mixture.  Let me tell you, you cannot tell there's whole wheat in these guys.  The texture is just perfect!  None of the dense and gummy stuff that sometimes comes along with whole wheat flour.

The awesomeness continues with the fact that these muffins are 100% fat free.  There aren't even any chocolate chips it them to ruin that claim (although if you'd like to add them I won't complain).  But like with the flour, you can't tell.  PERFECT texture.


Can you tell I just love these muffins?

It's just so much fun when you find a recipe that's healthy, but doesn't taste it at all.  And it's even better when said recipe entitles you to chocolate "cake" before 9am.  Hey, these muffins do have pumpkin, whole wheat flour, and no fat.  Totally breakfast acceptable ;)


Fat Free Chocolate Pumpkin Muffins

  • 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1/3 cup honey (if you like things really sweet, you may want to add more)
  • 1/3 cup egg whites
  • 3/4 cup plain greek yogurt
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup spelt flour
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
Preheat oven to 350F.  Grease a muffin tin well (!!!).  In a medium sized bowl, mix together pumpkin, honey, egg whites, yogurt, and vanilla.  In another large bowl, combine cocoa powder, flours, baking soda, and baking powder.  Min until incorporated.  Add pumpkin mixture to flour mixture.  Mix until a smooth, but thick batter has formed.  Your batter should be almost like brownie batter, it's so thick.  Scoop batter evenly between 12 muffin tin cups.  Bake for about 15 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.  Let cool before removing from pan and storing muffins in an airtight container.  Muffins will keep for 3-4 days on the counter, and can be frozen as well.



See that texture up there?  You must make these!

Revisited Recipe of the Day:

More muffins for you: Nutella Swirl Banana Muffins


Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. these look amazing! I noticed in the recipe there is only spelt flour, should I use 1/4 cup spelt 1/4 cup wheat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, look at me going on and on about how they're whole wheat, and then forgetting to write down the whole wheat flour! I fixed the recipe now, thanks for pointing out the problem. You're going to want to use 1/2 cup spelt flour and 1/2 cup whole wheat flour. Sorry about that!

      Delete
  2. Hey!

    Was wondering if I could substitute 1 cup oat flour for both spelt and whole wheat?

    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could definitely try it, but I don't know how well it would work. In the past, I've had some trouble with oat flour being more fragile than other flours, so you may run into some trouble there. But, like I said, feel free to give it a try, and please let me know the results so I can update the recipe. Thanks for stopping by, Ashley!

      Delete
  3. Just made these last night (not a honey fan, substituted with a little unsweetened applesauce and some Splenda brown sugar blend, plus a pinch of stevia), I think my substitutions made it a little less sweet than I would've liked so I might add a little more stevia next time.

    HOWEVER, after letting these bad boys sit overnight and do that amazing thing that all baked goods seem to do, this morning for breakfast they taste really great. Perfectly moist and chocolatey, and with my substitutions only about 70 calories per muffin with no fat and almost no sugar. I will absolutely be making these again often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm so glad they worked out! Thanks for letting me know your results, Scott.

      Have a nice day!

      Delete