Friday, April 26, 2013

Extra Fudgy Brownies



I love brownies.  I've got an abundance of brownie recipes on this blog.  Without even looking, I bet I have no less than ten different ones.

When it comes down to it, that's probably too many.


I'm a blogger.  I'm supposed to have favorite recipes that I keep coming back to and making new variations of.  Like adding caramel to my favorite cookie recipe or adding vanilla beans to my favorite cupcake.

The thing is, I have a bit of trouble finding that favorite recipe.


These Extra Fudgy Brownies are no exception.  I wouldn't say they're my absolute favorite brownie recipe (I'm not sure I'll ever find one like that), but they do rank high on the list.  Expecially for the fudgy factor.

Imagine the fudgiest brownie yuo've ever had, and then imagine it underbaked a bit.  That is what I'm talking about.  If you don't like cakey brownies, these are perfect for you!


Extra Fudgy Brownies

  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1/2 cup spelt flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp cornstarch
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp instant coffee
  • 1/3 cup sugar (you may want more than this, taste batter to check)
  • 1/2 cup plain yogurt (can use a vegan version)
  • 2/3 cup + 2 tbsp pumpkin (applesauce will probably work as well, but I have not tried)
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tbsp coconut or vegetable oil
Preheat oven to 350F.  Mix together dry ingredients (cocoa, flours, baking powder, cornstarch, salt, instant coffee, and sugar) in a large bowl.  Add remaining ingredients (yogurt, pumpkin, milk, vanilla, and oil) to bowl and mix again.  A thick batter should form.  Taste batter to see if more sugar is needed.  If so, add by the tablespoon until desired sweetness is reached.  Grease and 8x8 square pan well, and scoop batter in.  Spread into an even layer.  Bake for 35 - 40 minutes.  Chill at least 2 hours before cutting into 16 squares (brownies are very rich, so you only need a small piece).  Brownies sweeten after one day.



This is a stick-to-the-roof-of-your-mouth brownie.  And I love it!

Revisited Recipe of the Day:

Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies


Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. wow these brownies look divine!!! Beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks absolutely delicious! Nice and fudgy and moist. My favorite kind of brownie (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too. I am NOT a cakey brownie person.

      Delete
  3. I love the taste and texture of undercooked chocolate baked goods. It makes them so much fudgier. I'll definitely be making these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I was the only one who underbaked things on purpose :) Tell me what you think if you give the brownies a try.

      Delete