Sunday, April 21, 2013

Recipe ReDux - Chocolate Cupcakes with Cookie Dough Frosting.

Is it just me or did April fly by?

I swear, it felt like I was reading the new Recipe ReDux theme just yesterday.  Maybe it's because this months theme was finally in my comfort zone again?


That's right, today we are back to desserts!  Thank god!

To quote the Recipe ReDux people, this months theme cantered around "The Cupcake Conundrum".  Our job was to to do one of the following: "If you think cupcakes never go out of style, show us your most delicious 'ReDux-ed' mini-cake creation. Or if you're in the camp that cupcakes have been a bit overdone, share your favorite hand-held dessert destined to be the next big trend"

Well, I don't know about you, but in my mind cupcakes never get old.  Especially when there's cookie dough involved!


This was by far the easiest Recipe ReDux theme yet.  As soon as I read the theme, I knew just what to do.

It was Cookie Dough Frosting time!


I made a simple chocolate cupcake in my mini muffin pan, and then used a big scoop of my Healthy Cookie Dough recipe to frost them.  Delicious!

If you want a cute + healthier dessert for a party, your family, or just for you to hog, this is your recipe!  They.  Are.  So.  Adorable!


Chocolate Cupcakes with Cookie Dough Frosting
Cupcakes:

  • 2  1/2 tbsp ground flax
  • 7 1/2 tbsp water
  • 2/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1/3 cup cocoa
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/3 cup applesauce
  • 1/4 cup honey (note that these cupcakes are not super sweet, if you like things on the sweeter side, add a bit more honey and reduce milk accordingly)
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 3 tbsp milk
Frosting:
  • 3/4 - 1 cup Healthy Cookie Dough (you can make this up to 2 days ahead of time) (for vegan cupcakes make vegan version of cookie dough)
Preheat oven to 350F.  In a small bowl, mix together flax and water.  Set aside.  In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.  Add in applesauce, honey, vanilla, milk, and flax/water mixture.  Mix until a smooth batter forms.  Scoop batter into greased mini muffin tins and bake for 10 minutes.  Let cool before removing from pan and frosting with a big (around a heaping 1/2 tbsp) scoop of (premade) Healthy Cookie Dough.  Recipe makes 18-20 cupcakes.




The cupcake trend is so not over.  Now with these little guys around!

Revisited Recipe of the Day:

Food Processor Chocolate Cupcakes
















Pin It!

16 comments:

  1. Whoa. These would definitely win me over from the no-more-cupcakes side. Cookie dough frosting? Ingenious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kat. I can't completely take credit for the frosting, though. I've seen it around a bit.

      Delete
  2. These look extremely delicious. P.S. I love that they are vegan as well (: (without the honey)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, do these look a-maz-ing!! I'm with you, I'll never tire of cupcakes (or any mini dessert for that matter.) Look forward to trying these guys out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deanna. I agree, all mini desserts are awesome.

      Delete
  4. Wow...now this is what I'm talkin bout! A really delicious looking HEALTHY chocolate cupcake! My kkids will adore the frosting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy to hear that Serena. Tell me what you think if you decide to make it!

      Delete
  5. Love the idea of cookie dough frosting! Genius!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann, but I can't take all the credit. I've seen it on Sally's Baking Addiction, too.

      Delete
  6. Yeah. I think cupcakes will never die. We can always try out many kinds of flavor for cupcakes and decorate cupcakes as we want. the point is cupcakes can be dressed up in any kind of style we want. so I don't think cupcakes will ever ever get old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that's you're opinion, given the name you commented under :) I completely agree!

      Delete