Thursday, May 10, 2012

Oatmeal Dried Fruit Cookies

Sometimes I over-estimate my love for fruit.

Or at least my love for dried fruit.


I don't live in a place where fresh fruit is available all year.  So, i sometimes have to resort to dried fruits.  Unfortunately, sometimes i buy too much.  Especially when I go to Costco and every bag weighs more than my head.

Anyway, that leaves me with a lot of dried fruit.  And what do you pair with dried fruit?  Cookies of course! 


Dried Fruit Oatmeal Cookies
3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 cup oats
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ginger
A pinch salt
4 ounces butter, softened
2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup assorted dried fruit (you can use more or less depending on your taste)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a bowl whisk together flour, flax, oats, baking soda, spices, and salt.  Cream together butter and brown sugar in a different bowl.  Add the egg and vanilla to the butter and sugar mixture and combine.  Then, gradually add the dry ingredients, until they are incorporated.  Form balls of dough and put onto lined baking sheet.  Bake for 9-10 minutes, then let cookies cool.


These cookies proved to be a great way to use up my excessive amount of dried blueberries.  

However, I'll admit they're not the prettiest cookies in the world.  Don't let their appearance fool you, though, these cookies taste way better than they look!


Seriously, these cookies are awesome.  I just have to warn you guys about one thing: these oatmeal cookies taste healthy.  Not in a bad way, just don't expect them to taste like a heart attack in a cookie.  But, then again, these are oatmeal and dried fruit cookies, what do you expect?

Hopefully, I didn't just scare you away.  Some people can be scared of the word "healthy".  Oh well, their loss, you don't want to miss these little bites of deliciousness!  




Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. Not mentioned exactly when to add the fruit, so just added them with the flour mixture. Really good cookies tho have made them several times❤️

    ReplyDelete