Friday, August 10, 2012

Blueberry Tea Oatmeal

A warm breakfast during August is just not my cup of tea.


But this bowl of cold oatmeal certainly is.

Literally.


I've found a way to turn my favorite cold day breakfast into a delicious dish for summer!

That's right, my usual cup of steaming tea and oats has been turned into one big bowl of Blueberry Tea Oatmeal!

But don't crinkle up your nose yet.  This unusual breakfast is surprisingly tasty.


Blueberry Tea Oatmeal
(makes 1 serving)

  • 1/2 cup rolled oats (1 serving)
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 1 Celestial Seasonings blueberry tea bag (or try another flavor of choice)
  • Sweetener to taste
  • Optional: Feel free to add in nuts, fruits, or spices
Do this step the night (or a couple of hours) before you want to enjoy the oatmeal:  In a large microwave safe bowl combine the oats, water, and tea bag*, and microwave for about 4 1/2 minutes, watching to be careful that the oatmeal does not spill over the top of your dish (If it is about to overflow, just open the microwave door or pause the microwave, and it should go down).  Leave oatmeal in closed microwave for another 5 minutes, then transfer to fridge and leave, uncovered, for the rest of the night.  The next morning (or a couple hours later), pour the oatmeal into a bowl and mix to get rid of any big clumps.  Add sweetener and any additional add-ins.  Dig in!

* For a less strong flavor, only use about half the tea bag.



It's funny how no matter what the season I still manage to incorporate rolled oats into my morning routine.  There's just nothing like a filling bowl of oatmeal to keep me going until lunch.

Plus, there's so much you can do with oatmeal.  It rarely gets boring when each day you can have something new.


I mean, who would have ever guessed that pouring a tea bag into oats would add a great new dimension of flavor?

Not me, that's for sure.  And yet, it does.

I highly encourage you to try this totally unique oatmeal recipe before summer ends.

Revisited Recipe of the Day:

Spiced Oatmeal Cookies






Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I accidently removed your comment. Luckily, I got to read what it said first.

      What I actually meant is that you would pour the contents of the tea bag into your oatmeal, and therefore never remove anything. Though, now that I think about it, just soaking the tea bag would probably be fine too. If you do that, I think I would say that letting the tea bag soak with the oatmeal overnight would be best.

      Hope that helps, and I'm so sorry that I worded things badly.

      Delete