Thursday, August 23, 2012

Chocolate Zucchini Cake

Please tell me I'm not the only one up higher than my ears in zucchini.


It seems like even when I have absolutely no recollection of buying it, that green squash somehow appears in my fridge, staring at me, and waiting to be the star in yet another dish.

I'm not complaining, though.  I love zucchini and would never turn it down.


I especially love zucchini when it's in desserts.  Perhaps that's a bit strange, but it's true.

A good zucchini bread is something that can make my mouth water by just thinking about it!  And cake... you don't even want to know.

I'll just say that this Chocolate Zucchini Cake had be licking the mixing bowl clean.


Chocolate Zucchini Cake - original recipe can be found here

  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tbsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 2 tbsp applesauce
  • pinch salt
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp cardamom
  • 2 cups shredded zucchini, patted dry with paper towels
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  In a large bowl, combine eggs, vanilla, honey, salt, and applesauce.  In another bowl, mix together the flour and cocoa powder until no lumps remain.  Add the baking soda, cinnamon, and cardamom to the flour mixture.  Add the wet ingredients to the dry and combine until all the dry ingredients are incorporated.  Add shredded zucchini and mix again.  Pour batter into a 8 or 9 inch round  greased  pan.  Bake in preheated oven for around 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.  Let cool before cutting and serving.


You really can't go wrong with chocolate cake.  I think it's impossible.

The only thing that's better than a big slice of chocolate cake is a big slice of healthy chocolate cake.  Or two.

That's right, this cake is so healthy you can have two pieces.  It's got veggies in it, remember?


I seriously need to thank the person who came up with idea to put zucchini in cake.  That person is a genius. Same with the person who invented chocolate cake.  And the person who created chocolate.

Man, there are a lot of foodie geniuses out there.  Maybe I'll hunt a few down and and send them thank you's.


Anyway, enjoy the recipe!

(and if anyone's interested this chocolate timeline is actually really interesting)


Revisited Recipe of the Day:






Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. Delicious!
    I used Gluten Free Cafe's gf flour mix, and it turned out well. I cooked it until knife came out clean-ish which took longer than 20 minutes. I just wished I had used less baking soda, because with that flour, the soda taste comes through a little bit. Thank you for this wonderful recipe post!

    ReplyDelete