Monday, August 20, 2012

Minty Tabbouleh

I'm one of those people who can spend hours in various stores, just roaming through the aisles.  I'm sure I annoy the heck out of the owners, seeing as I rarely buy more than a few items, but I just love looking.


There's something so cool about all the unique items that can be found in those tiny shops that most peoples eyes just skip over.

My favorite stores are the ones that sell useless knick-knacks and exotic food items.  I bet I could live in those shops and never get bored.


Anyway, it was when I was wandering through one of those food stores that I picked up some coarse Bulgar.  Not the most exotic of foods, I suppose, but definitely a wonderful ingredient.

And wonderful it was.  I used it first to make tabbouleh, and I was not disappointed.


Minty Tabbouleh - original recipe can be found here
(makes around 8 side dish size servings)

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup coarse Bulgar
  • 2 cups boiling water
  • 2 lemons, juiced
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 bunch green onions
  • 1 bunch parsley
  • 1 bunch mint
  • 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 1/4 red wine vinegar
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Put bulgar in a large bowl, pour in boiling water, and add juice from lemons, olive oil, and 1 1/2 tsp salt.  Stir, then let stand for around 1/2 hour.  Add green onions, parsley, mint, and tomatoes.  Mix well.  Add in the red wine vinegar and soy sauce, then season with salt and pepper.  Mix again and serve, or refrigerate and cover until serving time.



Not only does this tabbouleh make a great dinner, it is also amazing as leftovers.

I swear I liked it ever more the second day when I was enjoying it for lunch.  I'm sure I would have happily eaten for dinner that day too, except that there was none left to eat.

I guess I wasn't the only one to like the dish.


Of course, that's not a problem.

When a dish is so easy and so delicious, I'm sure it's something I'll be making a lot.

Revisited Recipe of the Day:

5 Ways to use Celery







Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment